We all will have heard of Glycolic acid but what exactly is it and when and why should you add it to your skincare routine? Here is a breakdown of the commonly used AHA that hopefully solves any questions you may have. If not, please get in touch and we’ll try to supply you with an answer.
What Is Glycolic Acid?
Glycolic acid is a member of a group of chemicals called Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), lactic acid also belongs to this group. Glycolic acid is naturally derived from sugar cane and can be used to resolve a wide variety of skin concerns including acne and old acne scarring, a lack of firmness, wrinkles and fine lines, a dull complexion, uneven skin surface and dryness.
How Does Glycolic Acid Work?
Glycolic acid has the smallest molecules of all AHAs, allowing it to deeply penetrate the skin. It gently removes dead skin cells, quickly exfoliating the skin and leaving you with a more even toned, smoother and brighter complexion.
The deep skin penetration of glycolic acid also enables other ingredients ,as well as products applied afterwards ,to penetrate deeper into skin, helping them to be more effective and their results more visible.
What Are the Benefits of Glycolic Acid?
- Combats Dryness - Glycolic acid helps your skin to retain moisture, which will leave your complexion looking plump and rejuvenated.
- Treats Acne - Glycolic acid exfoliates the surface of your skin, removing dead skin cells that can mix with sebum (oil) and clog pores. It also aids the skin’s cell renewal process, which keeps your skin healthy and helps it to fight off breakouts. By tackling dirt, oil and sweat that can clog pores it helps to treat blackheads as well as reduce the appearance of pores, leaving your skin feeling clarified and renewed.
- Minimises Age or Sun Spots – Glycolic acid smoothes the appearance of imperfections and fades discolouration, leaving your complexion looking more even-toned and fresh.
- Has a Brightening Effect - Glycolic acid is a chemical exfoliant, as it removes dead and dull skin cells, boosting healthy skin cell turnover to reveal radiant glowing skin.
- Gives Skin a Youthful Glow – By removing the outer layer of dead, dull skin cells glycolic acid reveals healthy cells and leaves your complexion with a youthful glow. Glycolic acid helps to keep skin soft, supple and smooth, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles too.
How Do I Use a Glycolic Peel?
New to glycolic peels? In this video, celebrity independent make-up artist John Gustafson shows you how quick and easy it is to apply a glycolic skin peel treatment and get brighter, younger-looking skin in under a minute:
We all want the benefits that you get from treating your skin, but how many of us never seem to find the time to apply a face mask, even during your favourite programme? The good news is that great skin is just a minute away! A quick and easy glycolic peel is the perfect solution for those who feel they barely have time to sleep, for that last minute invitation or for those of us who are just a feeling little lazy.
THE BIG REVEAL is a glycolic resurfacing peel that offers a liquid facial treatment in a flash. It uses the spa professional technique of ‘gommage’ which involves working the product into skin using circular motions so that it rolls and threads until it rubs away the dead, dull skin cells to reveal unbelievably smooth and bright skin in under a minute.
The glycolic acid in THE BIG REVEAL gently exfoliates skin, leaving a more even toned, smoother and brighter complexion. Pomegranate extract improves the texture of skin and promotes firmer, softer skin while red clover extract offers a rich source of antioxidants which possess anti-ageing benefits and help to maintain smooth, radiant and youthful looking skin.