What Is Glycolic Acid?
Glycolic acid is a member of a group of chemicals called Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), lactic acid also belongs to this group. Glycolic acid is naturally derived from sugar cane and can be used to resolve a wide variety of skin concerns including acne and old acne scarring, a lack of firmness, wrinkles and fine lines, a dull complexion, uneven skin surface and dryness.
How Does Glycolic Acid Work?
Glycolic acid has the smallest molecules of all AHAs, allowing it to deeply penetrate the skin. It gently removes dead skin cells, quickly exfoliating the skin and leaving you with a more even toned, smoother and brighter complexion.
The deep skin penetration of glycolic acid also enables other ingredients ,as well as products applied afterwards ,to penetrate deeper into skin, helping them to be more effective and their results more visible.
What Are the Benefits of Glycolic Acid?
- Combats Dryness - Glycolic acid helps your skin to retain moisture, which will leave your complexion looking plump and rejuvenated.
- Treats Acne - Glycolic acid exfoliates the surface of your skin, removing dead skin cells that can mix with sebum (oil) and clog pores. It also aids the skin’s cell renewal process, which keeps your skin healthy and helps it to fight off breakouts. By tackling dirt, oil and sweat that can clog pores it helps to treat blackheads as well as reduce the appearance of pores, leaving your skin feeling clarified and renewed.
- Minimises Age or Sun Spots – Glycolic acid smoothes the appearance of imperfections and fades discolouration, leaving your complexion looking more even-toned and fresh.
- Has a Brightening Effect - Glycolic acid is a chemical exfoliant, as it removes dead and dull skin cells, boosting healthy skin cell turnover to reveal radiant glowing skin.
- Gives Skin a Youthful Glow – By removing the outer layer of dead, dull skin cells glycolic acid reveals healthy cells and leaves your complexion with a youthful glow. Glycolic acid helps to keep skin soft, supple and smooth, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles too.