19 Years Young
Skincare for Life, Body and Soul; Discover How It All Began
Owners and Co-founders, Mark and Liz Warom take us back in this interview to the birth of TEMPLESPA and their ‘in the beginning’ story.
How Was TEMPLESPA Born?
Mark begins; “After many years of creating brands and running businesses for other people we took a year out to reflect on what we wanted to do with the rest of our lives. This took the form of a sabbatical much of which was spent travelling throughout the Mediterranean. We just love the people, the culture, the food, the landscapes, the architecture and the lifestyle; little did we know at the time it would in fact create the inspiration and foundation for our brand and future lives.”
Liz continues; “We ended our adventure in Cyprus renewing our wedding vows and it was on this symbolic day we had our epiphany moment. Mark was taking his morning swim and captured the magic of this Mediterranean image on his camera and when he showed it to me and said; “What do you think of this photo”? I looked at it and exclaimed, “Well what do you think of the name TEMPLESPA”? (and TEMPLESPA was born) and the rest as they say, is history.”
What Do You Think Makes TEMPLESPA So Unique?
Mark; “TEMPLESPA has a strong British heritage with a Mediterranean soul. For the past nineteen years we have gathered an incredible team of experts and together we’ve poured our love, passion and expertise into the brand. Working with a collaboration of artisan herbalists and derma-scientists our beautiful products are a perfect fusion of the finest Med natural ingredients combined with the latest in technical innovation. Together, this means super-clever formulas with amazing textures, aromas and visible performance and we’re proud of the multiple awards the industry and experts recognises us with.”
What Is The TEMPLESPA Philosophy?
Liz; “On day one we scribed our philosophy and it remains the same to this day;
‘Your body is a living temple. Honour it, enjoy your life and live it to the full.’
We feel so blessed to honestly be able to say that is what we do every day. From dreaming something, then taking a blank sheet of paper and compiling a list of the very best people; some we’ve known for years and others we’ve always wanted to work with! To partnering with laboratories in England, Switzerland and Italy, a team of totally brilliant staff and supply partners – we really do live, breathe and love what we do!”
What Are Your Proudest Moment?
Liz; “So, if we had to choose, we’d have to say these are some of our proudest highlights...
1. Signing off our first formula REPOSE resting and night cream. We always knew this was going to be very special, but I don’t think we could have ever dreamed what it would become, our number one best-selling product helping people all over the world relax and get a better night’s sleep. It is a wonderful formula and symbolises all that we stand for, a real spa in a jar!
2. Opening with our first spa partner at Bailiffscourt Hotel & Spa in Climping, West Sussex. Sixteen years later we remain the sole brand in that beautiful space by the sea and we love the beautiful people, who said yes to us when we were unknown.
3. Launching in Harrods seventeen years ago and remaining in that iconic piece of Knightsbridge real estate to this day. If someone hasn’t heard of TEMPLESPA, they’ve definitely heard of Harrods and we’re proud.
4. Just two years later we won a contract with American Airlines to supply their premium in-flight relaxation and skincare kit or five years. We were up against ninety-nine established competitors and as a fledgling British brand we were selected to become their premium amenity partner. We still pinch ourselves today when we think of this great achievement.
5. Introducing the SPA TO GO concept. What started as an idea to gather some brand advocates and create a spa at home model, has gone on to become an integral arm of the business. It gives entrepreneurs their own TEMPLESPA franchise and opportunity to get the brand into the hands and homes of thousands of lives. We love it.
6. Launching SKIN TRUFFLE, our total facial radiance moisturiser, to commemorate our 10th anniversary. SKIN TRUFFLE has been a game change for us and gone on to be our most searched for product and the basis of an entire truffle capsule range. It was a daring move, but one of our best.
7. Meeting Nigella Lawson. Nigella invited me to breakfast to meet the person behind the brand. She was so encouraging and supportive at a time I really needed it. I discovered that she loved so many of our products, including IN THE BEGINNING deep cleansing facial melt (her and my favourite product) guessing that a foodie was behind its creation! A treasured memory.
8. Over the years we’ve won multiple awards with The Beauty Bible and their independent panel of real people, who score products based on their own use of them. Our SKIN TRUFFLE earned the highest score ever for best anti-ageing moisturiser and has now earned a place in their ‘Hall of Fame’. That makes us smile…a lot.
9. In 2017 we won no less that 14 awards for our products with The Beauty Bible and in 2019 we were awarded a further 10. Thrilled is an understatement!
10. Last but by no means least we are the skincare brand of choice for the Orient Express. We all know this fabulous brand and the luxury it conjures up and if you’re lucky enough to take a trip you’ll find a beautiful ‘TEMPLESPA virtual bathroom’ in your private carriage. We are so delighted to be on board with them.”
How Would You Describe Your TEMPLESPA Journey So Far?
Mark; “It’s been a fantastic first 19 years, and we’re excited to have you join us for the next chapter of our journey.”
Liz; “We wouldn’t be where we are today without our wonderful customers, clients and supply partners and for this we would like to thank each of you from the bottom of our hearts for giving us your trust, time and space to enjoy the TEMPLESPA experience.”
Mark & Liz Warom, Owners & Co-founders, TEMPLESPA