What would you say if we told you that there was a way to slim the face, tone the muscles and take visible years off your age without going under the knife? You’d probably be keen to know more, right? The term “facial yoga” is everywhere at the moment. Originating in Japan and more recently endorsed by the zeitgeist-leading, youth-promoting superpower, Goop, facial yoga is not something to be ignored. But what is it, how do you do it, and does it really work?
What is facial yoga?
In essence, facial yoga is exactly what you’d expect: a series of movements designed to activate and build muscles. Like a workout for your face. The practice borrows the name from yoga rather than, say, cross-training or HIIT, as not only is it designed to tone and strengthen but also relax face muscles.
How does face yoga work?
As we get older, our skin loses elasticity. Fat in the deeper layers of the epidermis diminishes and shifts downward so that those round cheeks of your youth may sink and elongate. Facial yoga is said to work by building facial muscles to keep fat pads in place so that the face appears fuller and more youthful. There are 42 muscles in the human face so there’s certainly potential to work on them!
Is facial yoga effective?
It really can be. Of course, as with any exercise regime, commitment is key but building muscle in the face has the potential to make the entire face look brighter and more youthful. And not a needle in sight!
How often should I do facial yoga?
Most experts agree that to really see results you should carry out your facial yoga practice every day. The specific recommendation varies slightly between practitioners (30 minutes every day; 20 minutes 6 times a week; 40 minutes every other day…) but they all agree that consistency is key. Think about it like this, you wouldn’t carry out one downward dog and assume you were done forever. No, this is a long-term commitment.
The best face yoga moves
Heard enough and ready to give it a go? Take a look at some of our favourite facial yoga moves and see which of our products could compliment your new routine.
Face yoga for eyes
Want to lovingly combat wrinkles and crow’s feet? Give these eye exercises a try:
1. Create a “V” shape with your index and middle fingers (or use our EYE THERAPIST Eye Massages duo for a firm yet gentle touch). Place middle fingers between your eyebrows and index fingers on the outer corners of your eyes.
2. Look up and move your lower eyelids upwards as if trying to close your eyes.
3. Relax and repeat x6.
4. Finish by squeezing your eyes shut for 10 seconds.
“Circle the eyes”
1. Use your ring finger to gently apply a caring eye cream such as WINDOWS TO THE SOUL Hydrating Eye Treatment Gel-Cream to hydrate and soften skin before you begin.
2. Place your index fingers or try THE SCULPTOR Multi-Purpose Massager at the outer end of your eyebrows.
3. Run your finger or the twin rollers around your eyes while tapping the sides of the eyes.
4. Change direction and repeat.
5. Finally, gently stroke the under eye area three times.
Face yoga for jaw and neck
If your jaw and neckline could use a little love, then this exercise is designed to help.
1. Use our luxurious EXALT Firming Neck Gel to create the perfect base.
2. Place your hands at the base of your neck and raise your chin so your head is slightly tilted back.
3. Push out your lower jaw and put your tongue into the roof of your mouth.
4. Smile broadly to tighten the neck muscles and hold for 30 seconds.
Face yoga for cheeks
Want to plump those cheeks without a visit to the dermatologist? Try this:
1. Smooth a skin- boosting facial oil like IT’S ALL GOOD Nutritious Boost Facial Oil over the face to soften and hydrate.
2. Tilt your head back and jut your chin forward
3. Suck your cheeks in as much as possible
4. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat x 10.
Does facial yoga really work?
A quick google will reveal a whole heap of anecdotal evidence but until recently, there hadn’t been any academic research to back it up. But, in 2018 Northwestern University carried out a 20-week study of facial exercises that did indeed indicate that the process of daily face yoga led to firmer skin and fuller cheeks. Can we say for sure that it works? Probably not. Is it worth a try? We certainly think so. And the beauty of it is, if you use your favourite TEMPLESPA products as the first step of your face workout then you’re taking care of your skin and promoting healthier skin regardless!